Sorry for the dearth of posts lately, I’ve just been having too much fun with Subversion to post. Bad Release Guy! That, and about a hundred releases or so…
We have finally *officially* decided to use SVN, rather than Perforce. I’m actually pretty happy about the decision, I’m finding SVN to be a nice, simple, straightforward source control system. It doesn’t have all the “bells and whistles” associated with Perforce or ClearCase, etc., but it is a solid tool and does what a good version control system should.
The setup and install was pretty trivial, not a big deal at all. The only remaining item is to tie this thing up to my local authentication/authorization system. It’s proving to be more of a pain than I had hoped, and I’m not thrilled about just using SSH or Apache’s basic auth to control access to our repository.
I’ve put together some VSS to Subversion migration scripts (in perl) that have worked out quite well. It’s basically just a simple “get latest and add to SVN”, no labels or file history or anything gets moved over, but I’ve noticed the “VSS way” of doing things is not exactly based on best practices anyway. So we’ll just keep our old, VSS repository around in the meantime in read-only mode, in case we need to do some historical reporting.
If you’re interested in checking out my VSS to SVN migration scripts, have a ball!